Monday 21 November 2016

Comparison of Opening Sequences

rison of Opening Sequences

The three opening sequences that I analysed were the Bourne Ultimatum, Limitless and Flightplan and after thoroughly reviewing them, I can say with confidence that the sequence that I found most exciting and gripping was the Bourne Ultimatum. In this sequence, I especially liked how I, as a viewer, was put in and amongst the action right from the very start which gained my full attention instantly. After watching the sequence there were so many questions that I felt inclined to know the answers to. Like why was Bourne running from the police and did they manage to catch him? This made me eager to see what would happen next and is why I enjoyed this opening scene the most.

The sequence that I felt had the least effect on me was Flightplan. I do appreciate that Flighplan is more of a mystery-thriller compared to the Bourne Ultimatum which is more action-thriller based, however I felt that the opening scene was too slow-paced for my liking and it didn't get my attention as well as the Bourne Ultimatum did. However, I felt the director created a strong mysterious atmosphere which set the rest of the film up well and would probably appeal to an older target audience better.









Although I didn't enjoy Limitless as much as the Bourne Ultimatum, I did like the elements of danger and death that the director cleverly enrolled into the opening sequence. The director's use of camera angles clearly showed how high up from the ground the protagonist was and made me feel excited but also concerned for the protagonist's safety. It also left me wondering why he was in such a terrible situation and why he was wanted so desperately by the people trying to break down his door. The opening sequence didn't give anything away about the plot and is what made me want to carry on watching to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment